Friday, August 23, 2013

Burlap Mini Charm Flag Bunting Tutorial



I am assembling our latest window and, as usual, I wanted to make bunting.  I had a few yards of burlap upholstery webbing and had a light bulb moment, mini flags. But how to jazz them up?
I looked around my sewing disaster room and saw the leftover strips from my Baby Jane Layer Cake.
And perfect use for those Moda mini charm packs! I am always looking for new uses for mini charms.


What You Need

-Fabric strips 2.5 X 7.5 (I used 14 for a very long bunting. This would be great to use with scrap jelly roll pieces)

-14 Moda candy pieces or 2.5" squares

-Jute/Burlap upholstery webbing cut in to 6.5" lengths (again, I used 14 for a very long bunting)

-twill tape (or ribbon, etc) cut the the length you need plus extra for tying

-sewing machine, thread


What You Do

-fold the jute rectangle in half right sides together and cut a notch in the bottom creating the swallow tail
-do the same for your fabric rectangles
-measure 2.5" from the top of the webbing and lay one 2.5" square on top of  one jute flag. Center the square using the red lines as a guide. Sew close to the edge.
-starting in the center of your twill tape sew a burlap flag to the front.
-measure 2 " over front of  the burlap flag, fold the top of the fabric flag over 1/2" and sew across the top.
-continue sewing the flags to the twill tape alternating burlap and fabric flags


TaDa!

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

1 comment:

  1. That turned out really cute! Can't wait to see the finished window :)

    ReplyDelete